Thursday, March 26, 2015

Dreaming of IronMan

I've had two dreams about IronMan.

The first, was really a nightmare. I woke up late, got to the swim start when people were already at the run portion, and then I woke up in a cold sweat. It obviously meant I had major anxiety about being unprepared for IronMan and manifested my huge fear of a DNF.

The second was last night, and was more of a stressful dream I guess. I was swimming when it hit me that I was actually swimming in IronMan. I was doing it! I laughed while underwater and kept swimming, though it was freestyle so obviously my brain thinks I need to work on my technique.

The dream skipped the bike section completely, this doesn't surprise me. I'm not worried about the bike section. There are two big climbs, but I'll just spin up them or walk up them, easy peasy. I've given very little anxious thought to biking IM because it will be the easiest leg of the event for me.

Then, it was on to the run, and I was again hit with the realization that I was running IronMan and that I had made it to the run, which meant I'd survived the cutoff times for the swim and the bike portions. Someone told me the run was 4 laps, which was disheartening, but I was actually there, on the run.

Then I woke up. Again, not surprising because if I can make it through the swim and have a good enough time that I make all the cutoffs and reach the beginning of the run, I WILL finish.

There was no victory in my dream, no big finish, but I'm obviously getting there, and that's worth celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment