Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Bump in the road or road block?

It's always something…

My husband asked if I thought my physical ailments might be a psychosomatic symptom of my stress related to IronMan. Oddly enough, IronMan doesn't stress me out anymore. Since my long swim, which I know is still only a quarter of where I need to be, I have felt much more confident. I'm now 98% sure I will be able to finish IronMan.

I have an Olympic triathlon in a couple weeks, and that will give me a really good measure of my swim time since it's a .93 mile open water swim. I'm so excited! It'll really show me what I've got to offer.

I've found that I really don't like training long distances. I feel like it's a waste of time. When the time comes, I'll run the marathon or bike the century, but I hate doing them in preparation. I feel like I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. I know the long workouts are necessary, I just don't like them.

I haven't been training because I've had physical issues. Jaw dislocation followed by some sort of sinus infection. I made an appointment for tomorrow. I pray they'll give me antibiotics. Even if it's viral, just taking the antibiotics will have a placebo effect at the very least.

I'm hoping to run a 1/2 this weekend in pursuance of my 1/2 a month goal, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. I feel like my weeks have been full of work and stress and my weekends have been just trying to recover from it all. I want to get back to being healthy!

I just got the last letter of recommendation I need to apply to some other jobs. I think a bit of a professional change would help me. Start with a clean slate. We'll see.

I got a bit of bad news about IronMan lodging yesterday when the person I rented a condo from emailed me to say they were canceling my reservation "due to unforeseen circumstances." It seems like the people who plan ahead always get screwed. I specifically booked lodging back in DECEMBER so I could get a good rate. Sure, we're still about 5 months out from the event, but there's no way I'll get such a good price now! Unprofessionalism to the max if you ask me.

Happily, I was able to find another place to rent, though it's teensy and only has one bathroom for the 7 of us. It'll be cramped, buuuuuuut it's literally less than a mile away from the start line, so awesomeness and definitely gonna be worth it.

I'm hammering down my plans for the actual weekend. I reserved this place from Thursday-Monday so I can drive up Thursday after work, sleep, then check in on Friday. My family will pick up my husband on their way to the cottage on Friday, so I'll have a good chunk of the day to do some training at altitude. They'll also drop me off on their way back, so my husband won't have to take any time off work.

We're going to Hawaii the following week, so he needs to save his vacation time. I just hope I'll be able to walk by then. Maybe not my finest piece of planning :p

I like that me being sick, figuring out how my husband can avoid missing work, and having to rebook accommodations are the only things about IronMan that are stressing me out now. I really do see myself being successful, and that's a really nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment