Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I'm a triathlete

I didn't want to run today, but I was encouraged by a friend, so I did. I haven't run since the disaster of my 1/2 for St. Patick's Day and I really lost my confidence. I decided I needed to face my anxieties head on and reclaim my mojo, so I wore the shirt I got from the 1/2 and decided just to get out there and so SOMETHING.

I went through the first song and a half of my playlist regretting my life choices and really just wanting to go home. I felt really slow and off my game, but I kept going. "Fast or slow, just go," I kept telling myself. Then, my music quieted and the lovely Nike lady came on "One mile completed, time 9:05"

"WHAT! 9:01 is my best mile time and that was a sprint! I guess I'm not going so slow after all..."

I get a few more songs in and I'm bored, I'm tired, I'm over it. I tell myself that I just have to do the 5k loop once.

"Just make it through the park...just through the park."

I get to the entrance of the park which is one mile away from my house. Nike lady "Two miles completed, time 17 mins some-odd seconds"

"17 minutes! How'd I get faster on my second lap? I'm on my way to my best 5k. Dude, was that my best mile? Will it even calculate that? I got this."

I kept running.  I was tired, I was breathing hard, but I was determined.

I got home and stopped the app and what to my wondering eyes should appear?

3 new PR'S!!! I think it's safe to say I found my mojo.

I've been eating about 95% Paleo for the last few days and I've noticed a big change in my energy and endurance. I was able to swim laps faster yesterday, though I could tell that I'd been away from training for a while. When you put the right gas in the car, it runs better.

Yesterday, at the gym, I was in the locker room and I complimented a lady on her cute workout clothes. We chatted a bit while she changed into street clothes and I struggled out of my swimsuit into my workout clothes to hit the bike (chlorine is like anti-Pam I swear) She asked if I was going to do another workout and, without skipping a beat, I replied, 

"Yeah, I'm a triathlete."

I've trained, and I've been working towards this for a while. But finally, FINALLY, I feel like I'm walking the walk enough to really be able to own the fact that I am, in fact, a tri athlete. I swim, I bike, and I run,

I have a triathlon on April 19th and I am seriously stoked to see how I do! It's Olympic, so it'll be the longest tri I've ever done and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment